A third season of “Big Little Lies” remains uncertain

The future of “Big Little Lies” is as uncertain as the judicial fate of its protagonists.
HBO programming manager Casey Bloys says he does not want to order a third season “just to do it”. He had said earlier in front of an audience of television critics that he did not see any obvious story to pursue in a third season.

It is also unclear whether the controversy surrounding the second season’s director, Andrea Arnold, is a factor in the decision to continue. Ms. Arnold would have lost control of the final product for the benefit of executive producer and director of the first season, Quebec’s Jean-Marc VallĂ©e, and creator David E. Kelley. The Quebec director has put together some scenes shot by Mrs. Arnold, apparently to preserve the tone and visual style of the series.

Casey Bloys, who praised Andrea Arnold’s work on the series, said on Wednesday that there had been “a lot of misinformation” around the case. TV directors usually do not get the ultimate control of creation, Bloys said.

“Andrea was never promised to give free rein to her creative freedom (…) We were clear and she understood that we were not trying to reinvent the series,” he said.

When the series ended last Sunday, the five women carrying an obscure secret were heading to the Monterey Police Station. One could easily think that confessions were forthcoming – and perhaps, as a result, another season for the hit drama produced by Nicole Kidman and Reese Witherspoon.

But Bloys assured that this end did not reflect a decision to leave the door open to other “Little Secrets, Great Lies”, inspired by Liane Moriarty’s novel.

Share Button
Previous Article
Next Article

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *